George Kpingbah’s Sexual Assault.
CNN found that it has become all too common for a nursing home resident to be raped inside of a nursing home – and incredibly nursing homes, per CNN, are doing very little to stop it. CNN writes that “nursing home employees and administrators are hamstrung in their efforts to protect victims who can’t remember exactly what happened to them or even identify their perpetrators.”
The findings of CNN’s investigation are disturbing and show just how far sexual perps will go to violate nursing home residents:
A fellow caregiver saw male nursing assistant George Kpingbah in 83-year-old Sonja Fischer’s room at 4:30 a.m. on December 18, 2014, at the Walker Methodist Health Center in Minneapolis. A bare leg was on each side of his hips, and her adult diaper lay open on the bed. When the witness noticed the 76-year-old aide thrusting back and forth, she said she knew a sexual assault was occurring.
It was not Kpingbah’s first time to be accused of sexual assault. Indeed, he had been suspended THREE TIMES before he was caught in the act of horrific actions that caused pain, agony and misery to a nursing home resident. Example allegations against him included that (1) he had engaged in sexual intercourse with a 65-year-old who suffered from multiple sclerosis and that (2) he raped, at precisely midnight on multiple occasions, an 83-year-old blind and deaf woman.
Incredibly, despite multiple prior allegations against him; training required of him; and multiple suspensions for alleged improper conduct – the facility was not cited for any wrongdoing.
Other Shocking Allegations of Nursing Home Sexual Assault
The CNN Report has painstakingly uncovered shocking and senseless acts of violence against female residents across the country:
- A 76-pound North Carolina nursing home resident who was so cognitively impaired she required assistance with even the simplest daily tasks reported that a nursing aide, behind closed doors, pushed her head toward him and forced her to give him oral sex.
- An 88-year-old California woman who’d only had sex with one man her entire life — her husband of nearly 70 years — said she awoke in her nursing home bed with her catheter removed and her bed wet. The next thing she remembered was seeing an unknown male nursing assistant staring at her naked body. “This is why I love my job,” she remembered him saying, according to what she told police. Weeks later, the woman complained of severe vaginal pain and “oozing blisters,” and she was eventually diagnosed with incurable genital herpes. To this day, the identity of the alleged perpetrator hasn’t been determined.
- The third time a resident of a Texas nursing home was raped by a nurse, the assailant ejaculated in the victim’s mouth and on her breasts. When he left, desperate to hold on to whatever evidence she could, she spit the semen from her mouth into her bra and kept the unwashed bra for three weeks. “That’s all I have,” she later told state investigators.
- In Iowa, a woman who depended on a walker to move around and couldn’t bathe herself reported that a nursing aide sexually assaulted her in the shower. But the facility never flagged this accusation to authorities because the aide had left the country.
- An aide admitted to urinating in the shower while a female resident was inside it, showing her his erect penis and kissing her — then warning her not to tell anyone.
- A nurse overheard two aides talking about how a resident had been given a lap dance that made him ejaculate.
- A woman was found gagging and trying to fight off a male resident who had his penis in her mouth. Family members viewed video footage of an aide repeatedly raping their loved one, who was on feeding tubes, after hiding a camera in a stuffed animal in the room
Male Sexual Assault.
It is not only women that are sexually assaulted in nursing homes, per CNN. Its reporters found that a group of male nursing aides at a California facility abused and humiliated five male residents — taking videos and photos to share with other staff members. One victim, a 56-year-old with cerebral palsy, was paraded around naked. Another, an elderly man with paralysis who struggled to speak was pinched on his nipples and penis and forced to eat feces out of his adult diapers.
Although the exact numbers are likely to be much higher, more than 16,000 complaints of sexual abuse have been reported since 2000 in long-term care facilities (which include both nursing homes and assisted living facilities), according to federal data housed by the Administration for Community Living.
CNN’s findings are appalling: “CNN exclusively found that the federal government has cited more than 1,000 nursing homes for mishandling or failing to prevent alleged cases of rape, sexual assault and sexual abuse at their facilities during this period. (This includes some of the cases provided by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.) And nearly 100 of these facilities have been cited multiple times during the same period.”
If the unthinkable happens to your loved one, we stand ready to serve you.
We invite you to contact our experienced nursing home abuse attorneys at 1-800-632-1404 for legal consultation. We will evaluate the case to determine whether a nursing home abuse lawsuit is warranted.